Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Cruel Beauty

Her mission was to kill him. Her destiny was to love him.
Title: Cruel Beauty 
Author: Rosamund Hodge 
Publisher: Balzer and Bray 
Release Date: January 28, 2014







Yet another retelling, I promise the next book won't be a retelling if I can help it. Anyway this retelling is Beauty and the Beast. Overall I would have to say this was a pretty decent read and I awarded it a 4.5 out of 5. The story was well thought out and well written. The only thing that I would fault it for is it does drag a bit every now and then but most books I would say do have that problem.

The main characters are Nyx and Ignifex. Nyx is representing Belle in the story and her father made a deal with Ignifex that meant Nyx would have to marry him while her twin sister gets to remain happy and away from Ignifex and the Shadows that he controls. Both of these characters make the book ring with mystery and desire. Another character who slips in the book and has a major role in why I liked it so much was Shade. One of the souls that Ignifex has under his control, he is an interesting character to say the least. What else drew me into the novel was Hodge's ability to capture this fairy tale in a way such as that it is completely unlike Beauty and the Beast and yet the same thing simultaneously. For anyone who was never familiar with the tale, than this would do the trick to catching you up to speed and leaving it open to the imagination.

As I said I give this a 4.5 out of 5. Another turn off I found in this book is the existence of some of the characters and the fact I think they could have been written out and the plot would have remained pretty much unchanged I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment