Thursday, March 26, 2015

Indie Bookstores!

 So this post is all about Indie Bookstores and my love for them! One particular indie bookstore that I deal with on almost a weekly basis that is.

There are a lot of places to go book shopping and ways to receive books as presents and just from general shelf cleanings.While I do use Amazon for book purchases because they are cheaper and other online book sellers; Book Outlet, B&N, Thriftbooks, Better World Books and many others for books when I want to save money; I prefer to use indie bookstores when I have the chance. Why do I use the indie stores? For many reasons; including I want to support them, they generally have what I'm looking for, the staff is helpful and they love books, and they hold book events at times! Now who doesn't love book events like release parties and signings and talks with various authors.

There have been 3 indie bookstores that have made me realize how much I would rather go shopping at these locations as opposed to ordering my books from an online source or even a big name store like Barnes and Noble.

The first of the stores is my indie bookstore back home called Bradley's Book Outlet. While they have a few locations they are only located in Pennsylvania (one Ohio location) and have a wide selection of both new books and wonderfully discounted books as well. They have a stamp it program where every $10 you spend you get a stamp and the cards can be combined so after 12 stamps you get $10 off. I used this program a lot.

The Doylestown Bookshop in Doylestown, PA has made a lasting impression on me forever because I had the chance to meet Claire Legrand last October right after I made the decision to start blogging. She was really awesome and even signed my books and wished me luck with blogging! That was a really cool experience and I have to thank my friend; Sam; for putting up with sitting there during the whole ordeal. The staff at the Bookshop was super friendly as well and having attended college in Doylestown it was a place I went a few times.



Now for my all time favorite indie bookstore which is The Book Loft in Solvang, CA. Ever since I moved out to California for my internship I have made numerous trips to this bookstore. The staff are super helpful and they know me by name! Bonus points for that. The Book Loft has ordered me several books that I have requested and have given me some recommendations for books that have been amazing to read so far; such as the Glass Sentence. The Book Loft even has a frequent buyer program of which I am a member of and it does come in handy. So if you ever visit Solvang be sure to stop in a take a look around! They have a Hans Christian Anderson Museum upstairs, used book section, local section, a whole section on Vikings and they are attached to a coffee shop! They have lots to offer.



So now I want to know what you all prefer. Indie bookstores or big names like Amazon or Barnes and Noble. I like them all but I prefer to deal with the local places like the Book Loft because I love being able to talk books when I go book shopping and its a great way to support authors and little local shops.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment