Saturday, May 23, 2015

ARC Review - Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra & Dhonielle Clayton

Title: Tiny Pretty Things
Author: Sona Charaipotra & Dhonielle Clayton
Publisher:Harper Teen
Release Date: May 26, 2015
Format: ARC
Rating: 4/5 Stars

Black Swan meets Pretty Little Liars in this soapy, drama-packed novel featuring diverse characters who will do anything to be the prima at their elite ballet school.

Gigi, Bette, and June, three top students at an exclusive Manhattan ballet school, have seen their fair share of drama. Free-spirited new girl Gigi just wants to dance—but the very act might kill her. Privileged New Yorker Bette's desire to escape the shadow of her ballet star sister brings out a dangerous edge in her. And perfectionist June needs to land a lead role this year or her controlling mother will put an end to her dancing dreams forever. When every dancer is both friend and foe, the girls will sacrifice, manipulate, and backstab to be the best of the best.

After reading Turning Pointe and Second Position by Katherine Locke and falling for the ballet and the characters and everything from those two books, I was excited to see a YA ballet book. (Katherine's books are NA) So picking up the ARC of Tiny Pretty Things from my bookstore was one of the better decisions I've made recently.

While all the books involve ballet, they are vastly different. Focusing on the book that this review is actually about; TPT had quite a bit going for it, in my mind. A very diverse cast and a plot that had a lot of twists and turn was something that I love finding in books; regardless of the genre. Now this cover alone was enough to catch my attention which is an added bonus to the book, because when a beautiful cover matches the inside, its a win win. Before I ramble anymore, let's get to seeing why I liked this book.

Starting off with the characters, they were all diverse and yet they all had something in common. Ballet in which they all want the same thing, to be the lead in a production. Gigi was probably my favorite because she was the underdog, coming from the West Coast, to the Academy in NY just to dance, she had a lot to live up to. June was an okay character for me and poor Bette trying to out do her sister. I can sympathize with that one.

The plot itself was broken down into two acts the Fall and the Spring. The Fall act was my favorite because it gave way for the entire novel, which kept me up late through the night to finish. The Spring act; though; threw me for some curveballs. I never saw what was coming and the ending of it left me wanting more. I'm so glad that there is a second book because the ending was a bit of a cliff hanger.

Well overall I give TPT a 4 out of 5 and highly recommend it to those who are fans of dance, ballet, drama and just overall drama then this one is for you! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow I had no idea that this had a sequel, thanks for the info! I have been going back and forth with whether I want to read this one. Honestly, ballet and I don't really get along too well (I was the klutzy one in the back row during my two embarrassing years of ballet hahah) but the story itself sounds quite unique. I love that there are diverse characters, and I absolutely love a twisty plot, so I am thinking I will need to read this one after all! Fabulous review :)

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know it had a sequel when I first read it, so I did some investigating. Klutzy I understand and I never did any type of dancing. Hopefully you enjoy it just as much as I did. That ending for me was surprising and not something I had anticipated, and the diversity is at the top of reasons I usually love a book.

    ReplyDelete