Monday, June 1, 2015

ARC Review - Because You'll Never Meet Me - Leah Thomas

Title: Because You'll Never Meet Me
Author: Leah Thomas
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: June 2, 2015
Format: ARC
Rating: 5/5

 
Purchase Links: Amazon                             Barnes & Noble

In a stunning literary debut, two boys on opposite ends of the world begin an unlikely friendship that will change their lives forever.

Ollie and Moritz are best friends, but they can never meet. Ollie is allergic to electricity. Contact with it causes debilitating seizures. Moritz’s weak heart is kept pumping by an electronic pacemaker. If they ever did meet, Ollie would seize. But Moritz would die without his pacemaker. Both hermits from society, the boys develop a fierce bond through letters that become a lifeline during dark times—as Ollie loses his only friend, Liz, to the normalcy of high school and Moritz deals with a bully set on destroying him.

A story of impossible friendship and hope under strange circumstances, this debut is powerful, dark and humorous in equal measure. These extraordinary voices bring readers into the hearts and minds of two special boys who, like many teens, are just waiting for their moment to shine.

What do I say about this book? How about everyone needs to go out and buy this book right now! For Leah Thomas' debut novel, she really hit a home run with me and this book. The story itself was brilliantly written and one that I will come back to time and time again.

The characters Ollie and Moritz remind me of some friends and myself who I haven't had a chance to meet yet, which is why this book means something special to me. I will say that the ending of this book blew me away. I wouldn't have seen it coming even if it hit me. The events of what is happening are told in a brilliant manner, through the letters to each other which makes it that much more personal of a feel. What can I say other than the more feels packed into a book the better! This book was full of feels for me. I have to thank my friend for telling me about this book in the first place.

Ollie and Moritz are two of the most complex yet simple characters I think I've ever read about. What do I mean by this, well they're both hermits and they can't do things that other people can but they want to be normal (or what normal is anyway). Their pasts and presents are what make them so complex. For these two alone, my heart went out to them and hoping and feeling everything they felt.

Okay pretty much the short version: 5/5 Stars and ALL THE FEELS!

No comments:

Post a Comment